MEREWORTH PARISH COUNCIL
MINUTES OF THE MEETING HELD IN MEREWORTH VILLAGE HALL ON TUESDAY 26 July 2016
PRESENT: Chairman – Philip Olden (PO), Katherine Eykelenboom (KE),
Stephen Reynolds (SR), Jenny Thorogood (JT), Andrew Wells (AW), Gill Kirby (Clerk)
1 member of public
1. Apologies for absence – Jon Regan (JR), Michael Bound (MB), KCC & TMBC Clr Matthew Balfour , TMBC Clr Mrs Ann Kemp, PCSO’s Kim Hockey and Toni Matthews
2. Declarations of Interest – none
3. Questions from members of the Public – (This is a concessionary short session and limited to 30 minutes. Five minutes per person will be allowed initially and only if time permits will further comments be heard. This session is for information only and no action need be taken upon items raised)
1. A resident referred to the recent arson attacks on cars and his concern that the police were not taking this seriously. (PO) explained that Jon Regan had written to the MP Tom Tugendhat and to the Police Commissioner on this matter. The resident believed that it was one individual who was responsible and he had captured CCTV image of him, also he had been given a name of a person who had been charged with arson in the past and a lighter had been found which could have fingerprints. It was agreed that (PO) follow up with the MP and PCSO’s. The resident was asked to send in a report to the Clerk. (KE) suggested that the resident call 101 to report this as they would probably send out a police officer to speak to him. Action (PO)
2. The resident also referred to the lack of road markings on the Airfield Estate. He had asked KCC and TMBC about this but neither were responsible as this is private roadway. Clerk explained that Circle Housing Association were responsible for the Airfield Estate and she would try to report this matter to them. Action Clerk
4. Reports from County and Borough Councillors and Police
Police – PCSO’s – crime figures had been provided for July – these included theft and burglary. The arson attacks were not listed under Mereworth as the Airfield Estate was within Kings Hill police area. Clerk to get contact details for Kings Hill PCSO. Action Clerk
(a) Minutes of the Parish Council Meeting held 28 June 2016 -These were agreed as
a true record and signed by the Chairman
(b) Matters arising not covered elsewhere on the agenda – none
(a) Bank reconciliation and ratification of cheques for signing
Bank reconciliation as at 30 June 2016 was approved and bank statements verified.
Reconciliation and cheque payments as listed were ratified and signed.
(b) Kent Street Land Sales –
The draft Transfers had now been agreed by the Parish Council and had been sent by the solicitors to the buyers. One of the buyers had queried the boundary line and this was checked and agreed to be accurate. Action Clerk
(Clerks Note: The metal had been collected from the field and Ray had arranged for it to be removed by
the scrap man on 27 July 2016)
7. Updates on other issues
(a) MVH Liaison – It had been agreed at the MVH meeting prior to this that the CCTV system be updated with four new cameras and a new recorder. Quotation had been accepted. Following Bill Piper’s resignation, the list of duties was discussed and the following was agreed:
Liaison with cleaner – Rebecca Simmons (Hall Bookings Clerk)
Purchasing of cleaning materials – Parish Council Clerk
Meter readings – Graham Matthews to read and submit on line
Pavilion bookings – Parish Council Clerk
Arrange for Boiler Service, PAT testing, Fire equipment testing, Asbestos check – Clerk and
Window cleaners to be given their own key to the hall
Take calls re: problems on a daily basis – Rene Bennet
Redecoration, floor renewal – Committee decision
CCTV viewing – Rene Bennet
Letter box – Graham Matthews
Daily Health and Safety checks – Jenny Thompson
(b) PCC Liaison – (AW) reported that the churchyard grass and verges had been cut satisfactorily. There is to be a concert by Sarah Hughes in Church on 17 September at 7pm – tickets available from (AW) and the annual commemorative Victoria Cross Service on 2 October at 9.30am which the Sea Cadets and Royal Naval Association will attend.
(c) Highways –
(i) Seven Mile Lane – Following parking chaos during the School Sports Day, (AW) had contacted the school secretary to ask why they had not used the pavilion car park. The response was that they could not contact anyone to arrange this. However contact numbers are easily available on the back page of The Record, website etc. It was agreed that (AW) would contact the school in August to offer use of the pavilion car park once again for special occasions and to ask for additional ‘no parking’ signs to be erected on the B2016 verge. Action (AW)
(ii) The Street – white lining and parking – It was reported that some of the white lines had
been reinstated but not all of those requested. Clerk had asked several times when the remainder of the lines would be installed but had not had a response.
(d) Allotments – There was one vacant plot which had been advertised on the website. Clerk to advertise this in The Record. Action Clerk
(e) Neighbourhood Watch – (KE) had no further reports other than the arson attacks.
(f) Childrens Play area/Recreation area/football pitches – The recreation area had been treated for weeds and the cricket club had paid half the cost.
(g) Fete Committee – Future Chairmanship. Minutes of the final Fete meeting had been circulated. Fete Committee Meetings had been attended by (JT) (PO) and (AW). Rene Bennet explained that more helpers were needed on the day itself. It was suggested that monthly meetings were not required. The Fete Committee had asked that a member of the Parish Council chair the Fete Committee in future. (JT) agreed to chair the meetings and explained that she would call three meetings prior to the Fete itself and one afterwards. She would also try to get the fete held at Mereworth Castle next year. (JT) to put a notice in The Record advertising meetings dates, which were likely to begin in February 2017.
(h) Correspondence to Police and MP re: arson attacks – discussed under public session. (PO) to contact MP and Police.
8. Any other business and matters for future discussion
1. (JT) referred to the KALC Training Day held at East Malling Research Station and commented that the afternoon planning session had been excellent. It was agreed to circulate the documents given out on the day to all members.
9. Date of next meeting – Tuesday 23 August at 7.30pm
Meeting closed 8.52 p.m
/* Style Definitions */
mso-padding-alt:0cm 5.4pt 0cm 5.4pt;