Minutes of Parish Council meeting held 22 August 2017

MEREWORTH PARISH COUNCIL

 

MINUTES OF THE MEETING HELD IN MEREWORTH VILLAGE HALL ON TUESDAY 22 August 2017

 

PRESENT  – Jon Regan (JR), Philip Olden (PO), Andrew Wells (AW),

Katherine Eykelenboom (KE), Jenny Thorogood (JT),  Gill Kirby (Clerk),  3 members of public

 

  1. Apologies for absence – Michael Bound (MB), PCSO’s Toni Matthews and  Kim Hockey

 

  1. Declarations of Interest  –  none

 

  1. Co-option of member to fill Vacancy on the Parish Council

To be discussed at end of meeting

 

  1. Questions from members of the Public

(This is a concessionary short session and limited to 30 minutes.  Five minutes per person will be allowed initially and only if time permits will further comments be heard.  This session is for information only and no action need be taken upon items raised)

 

  1. Mrs Tiptaft thanked Clerk for reporting issues to Kent Highways and TMBC but raised concerns that MR286 Kent Street to Beech Road had still not been cleared despite being reported twice and was now impassable.  Walkers were having to use the farmer’s field where the tractors had made a track.  New footpath posts had been erected but the footpath had not been cut.  It was missed in 2015 and became impassable and this year it had been missed again.

Clerk had contacted the footpaths officer and the issue was on the website portal with a note indicating that it was ‘awaiting inspection’ so the footpaths officer was aware of the situation.

 

Mrs Tiptaft also  raised concerns at the incidences of flytipping.  Clerk reported these to TMBC but Mrs Tiptaft felt they were slow to react.  She suggested that  notices be erected warning flytippers that they will be prosecuted .  Clerk was asked to contact TMBC                                                                                                                                                                     Action Clerk

 

White markings on the road surface in Kent Street were queried.  Clerk to try to find out what these are for.                                                                                                                 Action Clerk

 

Flyers advertising wheelie-washers had been found in Butchers Lane along with rubbish and litter.  (JR) to pass these to PCSO’s                                                                                   Action (JR)

 

The dog bin in Willow Wents had not been emptied for some time and was full. Action Clerk

 

The hedge in Willow Wents had not been cut and was obstructing the road.  Clerk had already reported this to Kent Highways.                                                                                             Action Clerk

 

  1. A resident of Kent Street was concerned about the junction of Kent Street and A228. She referred to the petition and countless meetings to discuss improvements but nothing had been done.  (JR) explained that there were plans, the Parish Council had been talking with Kent Highways and TMBC for many years and there had been consultations with Clr Balfour.  Plans had been approved and the works will be done.  The resident reported that the road sign was obstructed by vegetation and (JR) offered to cut the hedge to reveal the sign.  Clerk to try to get an update on when works would start .

It was suggested that residents write direct to Clr Balfour on this matter                      Action (JR)/Clerk

 

  1. Reports from County and Borough Councillors and Police

Police – PCSO’s crime figures had been provided for July and August  – these included

one theft from unattended bag and a fatal collision near to junction of The Street with

A228 on 20 August 2017.

  1. Representation – groups and local organisations

 

Joint Parish Councils Traffic Liaison Group – it was agreed that agendas and minutes    would continue to be circulated and members attend if required.           Action Clerk

 

  1. Minutes

 

  • Minutes of the Parish Council Meeting held 27 June 2017 -These were agreed as

a true record and signed by the Chairman

(b)  Matters arising not covered elsewhere on the agenda – none

 

  1.         Finance

(a)   Bank reconciliation and ratification of cheques for signing

Bank reconciliation as at 31 July 2017 was approved and bank statements verified.

Reconciliation and cheque payments as listed were ratified and signed.     Action Clerk

 

(b)  External Audit of Accounts 2016-7 – completed on 17.7.17 – report and certificate

had been received.  Auditor had no issues to report.

 

(c) War Memorial Cleaning–  Works to be done by Kentish Stone within next few weeks.

 

(d)  Possible purchase of allotments site – (JR) to contact landowner regarding this matter                                                                                                                Action (JR)

 

  1. Updates on other issues
  • MVH Liaison –  It had been reported that one of the cameras on the CCTV was still not working  properly despite having been    Clerk reported that she had arranged for the contractor to attend this week.

 

  • PCC Liaison – The new cream tea furniture storage hut had been repaired.

(JT and AW ) to contact Adam and Carly regarding church and village Christmas lighting.                                                                                                        Action (JT)/(AW)

There had been some damage to a stone gate pier but it was thought it could be repaired if deemed necessary.

The last cream teas of the summer would be provided all three days of the Flower Festival at the church to which all residents were welcome.

 

  • Highways –(i) The Street white lining –The lines across private vehicle gateways had been delayed because the contractor had reported that parked cars made painting difficult. Notices had been posted to the relevant houses asking for the spaces to be left free of parked cars and further lines had then been installed but there had been an error in KCC’s administration and some lines had not been included on the list.  These will be installed within the next few weeks.  (AW) reported that the residents were pleased with the works.

 

(PO) reported that the road surface in The Street was deteriorating and may need to be monitored.

 

  • AllotmentsFencing repairs – (JR) to arrange to meet with Kentish Stone Ltd. to discuss fencing requirements. Action (JR)

It was noted that quite a number of allotment plots were not being well tended.  Clerk to write to all allotment holders to ask if they wished to relinquish their plot as there was a waiting list.                                                                                              Action Clerk

 

  • Neighbourhood Watch – nothing to report

 

  • Childrens Play area/Recreation area/football pitches – Householders had reported that trees on the land between the allotments and the homes in Butchers Lane were causing damage to the buildings and required cutting back. (JR) had looked at the trees and felt that the Copper Beech was possibly growing too large but the tree on the border of the houses with the Recreation area (possibly an Elm) might be causing the problem.  It was agreed to ask Chris Keeler for his advice.                                                                           Action Clerk

 

  • Village seat – (JT) suggested replacing the patio area at the front of the pavilion and installing new metal seats. It was agreed to ask Kentish Stone for advice.         Action Clerk

 

(KE) suggested that the installation of electric car charging points in the layby may be a possible project and agreed to find out more about this                         Action (KE)

 

  1. Any other business and matters for future discussion
  2. Aims and Objectives of the Parish Council –  (PO) suggested that this could be discussed at the precept meeting.  It was agreed that it would be useful to have a note of the successes attained during the year and objectives for the coming year to be reported at the APM along with the efforts the Parish Council had made on the parishioners behalf during the year.

 

  1. The convex mirror in Willow Wents had been hit by a vehicle. Though dented at top and bottom, it still worked and Clerk reported that Kentish Stone had straightened the post.

 

Vacancy on the Parish Council  – To be discussed at next meeting.

 

  1. Date of next meeting – 26 September 2017 – 7.30 in the Village Hall

                                               

                                                           

                                                            Meeting closed    9.02 pm